Fruit Salad TartFood & Drink / Judesfood categories: Food & Drink Judesfood
- 125g butter
- 210g raw (demerara) sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 g (1⅔ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 500 g (about 4 cups) assorted fruit (such as: peaches, pears, plums, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, nectarines)
- 2 tablespoons raw (demerara) sugar
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Butter and flour a round 24 cm (9½ inch) springform cake tin.
- To make the pastry, use electric beaters to beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and pale, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour and baking powder. Switching to mix with your hands, knead quickly to incorporate everything. Put aside one-third of the dough (about 150 g/5½ oz) to make the biscuits. Press the two-thirds of dough firmly onto the bottom and two-thirds of the way up the side of the prepared tin.
- For the filling, prepare the fruit — halve strawberries and cherries (if using) if large, remove stones and slice stone fruit, and cut other large fruit into big chunky slices. Put in a bowl and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons raw sugar. Turn through gently. Distribute the fruit evenly over the crust. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the fruit looks lovely and jammy, trapped in a cage of pastry. Remove from the oven to cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve in slices, alone or with whipped cream.
You will have some leftover pastry to make some sweet and crunchy biscuits